Saturday 27 April 2013

Blog-A-Day April #26 The Makeovers

After some helpful advice on Twitter from other very kind beauty bloggers, I successfully managed to make over several of the lovely women going to the wedding. This is the first time I've ever done this for a formal occasion and I was very pleased with the end results.

Some of the problems I was having was that I had never given  makeovers to such a varied age-range of people. I always like to apply a powder base after the primer goes on but I wasn't sure how this would suit a more mature skin. Thankfully with some help from @BloodandGrace , whose blog can be found here I ended up foregoing this step and just mixing some foundation with a little moisturiser, and this worked alot better.

These are two of the lovely ladies who have consented to let me use their images for todays blog.

Shirley has a very medium/fair skintone, and a few of the problems shes come across is that she always opts for a darker foundation than she needs, and the result doesn't look quite right. However, she didn't want to look pale either. I applied a No7 Intelligent Colour foundation onto her skin - because it has a higher quality formula that adapts to the skintone. The I gave her a good dash of bronzer under her cheekbones, and blusher on her cheeks for colour.

Shirley isn't very comfortable with putting eyeliner on herself - but a tiny bit of eyeliner can make alot of difference so I just used a soft Khol around the eyes. The absolute making of this look though was the lipstick - Maxfactor Colour Elixir in Chilli Red - which goes beautifully with her vibrant cropped red hair. I was really happy with this look on Shirley because before she wasn't making the most of her colouring. Lots of women want to look tanned but if your hair is short and bold then it can look absolutely stunning against paler skin, as long as you put a bit of colour into the apples of your cheeks and wear something flattering on your lips then it a paler complexion doesn't need to wash you out.

Valerie is Shirley's sister and they have a very similar medium/fair skintone. However, Valeries blonde hair means that a much softer look suits her. I wanted to make her look alot more girly and feminine to compliment not just her hairstyle but her pastel and floral outfit.

I started off with a good No7 primer, and then used a brush to gently dab Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in Ivory into her skin. Then I lightly went over this with just a suggestion of powder. I was careful to put primer on her eyelids, Unlike Shirley who was wearing a metallic plum colour, I decided that a natural brown would suit Valeries colouring more.

Valerie also admitted that she wasn't fond of wearing lipstick because she had never found one that suited her. What I did was find a beige lipliner, and just went around the lips to enhance them. I then used a nude lipstick, and finished the look off with a cheap and cheerful lipgloss - Toffee Cream by Natural Collection. The touch of blusher really compliments the fairness of Valeries skin. This was a more complex makeover than some of the others - it was trial and error with finding exactly what was right for Valerie, which is something she has never made time for before.

No comments:

Post a Comment