Monday 15 April 2013

Blog-A-Day April #14 Bad Make-Up Habits

You can Google "Bad make up habits" and be given an endless list of things you should and shouldn't do. These are just five things that people do with their make up that really peeves me off, and they would just look so much better if they didn't do.

Heavy make-up on both the eyes and the lips. Seriously it just makes you look scary. My golden rule is one or the other - if you're having glamorous eyes then tone down your lip make up and vice versa.


Not knowing your foundation tone. I see this alot lately, girls who have really brown faces, pale bodies and then a bold foundation line on their jawlines. The comparison to your face and your neck is making you look ridiculous. Nobody wants people to notice their make up, you want your make up to draw attention to the skin you already have, so just take a bit of extra time choosing your colour, use testers on your wrist and your neck. You'll thank yourself in the long run.


Using foundation to cover acne. Acne is one of those things. We all get it and it sucks big time. But one of the biggest mistakes people make is caking their make up on over their spots. All you're doing is making your skin worse and drawing more attention to your breakout. You'd be so much better off just using a BB Cream - one with decent coverage. Make sure you're exfoliating your skin on a regular basis, and then add your BB Cream. If there's still a bit of red coming through then dab gently at it with a tiny bit of concealer and blend in circular motion using a light sponge tip (try not to use your fingers, often this can just spread bad bacteria into the skin). It looks so much more natural than just caking on the powder, then the foundation, then the concealer and god knows what else and clogging your pores up more.


Having the wrong colour lipstick. I think I will have to explain this one a bit, because it sounds a bit vague. Because of the change in light, aspects of your make up should change in the evening. For example, I always wear softer colours during the day because the combination of harsh light combined with my skintone makes really bold colours look ridiculous. They wash me out, they leave no room for subtelty. Everyone is different, and you will make mistakes with this. For example I've convinced myself before now that a Crimson Red is a good look for work - the problem is that I have full lips, and it doesn't do me any favours. So these days I wear a warmer, softer red if I want to wear red in the day, or a coral red, or if I'm going somewhere like a festival then maybe a nice orange red. Now I can wear dark reds at night/in the evenings just fine. Each person is different and it's just a case of finding what works, but there's nothing glam about walking around thinking you look fantastic and really you look like a clown.


Foundation Lips. Similarly, worse than having a ridiculous day colour is people who do the foundation lips. Now don't get me wrong, I love a nude lip. I have about seven different nude lipsticks and with a tiny little bit of lipgloss it's a look that can look fantastic. However, girls who just go over their lips with foundation do drive me mad. Your lips are supposed to be a different colour to your face otherwise you're going to look like a corpse. Also your foundation is designed to cover your facial skin, but lips are very obviously darker. So 9 times out of 10 your lips are going to end up patchy and the real colour underneath is going to come through. It's just a much nicer look to get a nude lipstick and go a tiny bit darker than your foundation - and be honest, it feels better too.


Those are just a few pet peeves of mine. You may not agree - you may even have some of your own that you'd like to share in the comments :) Au revoir! x

No comments:

Post a Comment