Saturday 9 March 2013

The Primer Police

It's amazing how often I hear people say "I don't use Primer" or "It's a waste of money" or "My make up goes on fine without it" and "I don't really understand what it's for".

If you were putting wallpaper up, you would have lining paper underneath it to smooth out any imperfections on the wall, so that the lumps and bumps don't show through the end result. Well that's why you need a primer under your make up.

Your face goes through a lot every day and having that thin layer of cream/gel before you apply make up does not only improve the end result, it adds just a tiny bit more protection for your face, before you clog it up with powder and foundation.

Furthermore, it keeps your make up perfect for longer. The best way to apply your make up is with a brush - when you use your fingers you're just moving the formula around your face, using a proper make up brush helps to press foundation onto your skin and into those area's that you want covered the most.

For the best results, use a primer first. They come in all textures. My personal favourite - as previously mentioned on my blog - is Bourjois Flower Perfection Primer, which comes as a very light and easy-to-spread gel.

Once that's applied you add your powder and then your foundation - it's widely disputed which one of these you're supposed to put on first. I always put on my powder first, I find it keeps the foundation on for longer as it kind of sticks to the powder. I don't know if this is true but it's always worked for me.

For me, that is a standard make up base and I would go from there, but I would always reccommend having that Primer on first. They aren't too expensive either, you can find most decent drug store brands cost less than £10 and the effects are well worth the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment